Wednesday 4 January 2017

Human Rights: Education in Uganda

Article 24 of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) guarantees that persons with disabilities (PWDs) have the right to education and states that PWDs should be able to access education. 

The right to education is enshrined in Ugandan law in the Social and Economic Objectives and Articles of the Constitution.

It is important to know and understand your rights because they are supported by law. PWDs have these rights just like anyone else in Uganda.
Charles Bignon 'Hands up'

This is what the CONSTITUTION OF THE REPUBLIC OF UGANDA, 1995 (see The State House of Uganda for more information) has to say about your legal rights. Firstly in the Social and Economic Objectives:
XIV. General social and economic objectives. The State shall endeavour to fulfill the fundamental rights of all Ugandans to social justice and economic development and shall, in particular, ensure that...
(b) all Ugandans enjoy rights and opportunities and access to education, health services, clean and safe water, work, decent shelter, adequate clothing, food security and pension and retirement benefits.
XVIII. Educational objectives. 
(i) The State shall promote free and compulsory basic education.
(ii) The State shall take appropriate measures to afford every citizen equal opportunity to attain the highest educational standard possible.
(iii) Individuals, religious bodies and other nongovernmental organisations shall be free to found and operate educational institutions if they comply with the general educational policy of the country and maintain national standards.
CHAPTER FOUR—PROTECTION AND PROMOTION OF FUNDAMENTAL AND OTHER HUMAN RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS of the Constitution contains the following Articles:
30. Right to education.
All persons have a right to education.
34. Rights of children. 
(2) A child is entitled to basic education which shall be the responsibility of the State and the parents of the child.

1 comment :

  1. Hello everyone.  I want to share my amazing experience with the great spell caster Dr Mark my husband was cheating on me and when I found out we had a fight which lead him filling for a divorce I cried and fell sick when I was searching about love quotes online I saw people talking about Dr Mark and his great work whose case was similar to mine they left his contact info I contacted Dr Mark and he told me not to worry that after 24 hours he will cancel the divorce and my husband will be back to me after I did everything he asked me to do to my greatest surprise the next day evening it was my husband he knelt down begging me to accept him back, thank you once again Dr Mark you are indeed a blessing to me he can also help you. contact Dr Mark through his email address on: blessedlovetemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete